Polarization: The process of transforming unpolarized light into polarized light is called Polarization and make sure to Play Quiz for concept clearance.
#1. For a biaxial anisotropic crystal,______.
#2. What is the state of polarization for the equations given below EX = E0 sin(ωt - kz) Ey = E0 cos(ωt - kz)
#3. In a Half wave plate, when the optical path difference is 0, then the resultant light is ______.
#4. Which of the following is true about a polarizer
#5. In plane polarized light,________.
Polarization Physics Quiz Explanation is given below
1. There are two types of anisotropic crystal; uniaxial and biaxial. In uniaxial, one of the refracted rays is o-ray and the other one is e-ray, whereas in biaxial, both are e-rays.
2. Squaring both the equations and adding, we get , E02 sin2 (ωt – kz) + E02 cos2 (ωt – kz)= Ex2 + Ey2
or, Ex2 + Ey2 = E02
The above equation represents a circle. So it’s circularly polarized.
3. When the optical path difference is zero or an odd or even multile of λ/2 in a half wave plate, then the resultant light wave is said to be linearly polarizd.
4. The electric field vector in light can be resolved into two components; the parallel component and the perpendicular component. The polarizer only transmits the parallel component and blocks the perpendicular component.
Transmitted electric field = E0 cosθ.
5. Plane polarized light is a light wave with a definite direction of propagation of electric field vector and the oscillations occur in a single plane.
Quiz and Explanation by Som Abhishek
Polarization definition by Bhautik Kapadiya
Participate in the biggest Physics quiz competition of 2020
Play Polarization Quiz and Win Prizes for the upcoming Quiz Competition
1. For a biaxial anisotropic crystal,______.
a. One of the refracted rays is o-ray and the other is e-ray
b. both are e-rays()
c. both are o-rays
d. none of the above
2. What is the state of polarization for the equations given below?
EX = E0 sin(ωt – kz)
Ey = E0 cos(ωt – kz)
d. None of the above
3. In a Half wave plate, when the optical path difference is 0, then the resultant light is ______.
a. Circularly polarized
b. linearly polarized()
c. Elliptically polarized
d. both a and c
4. Which of the following is true about a polarizer?
a. It transmits the perpendicular component and blocks the parallel component
b. It transmits the parallel component and blocks the perpendicular componenet()
c. It transmits both the components equally
d. None of the above
5. In plane polarized light,________.
a. Oscillations occur in a single plane()
b. Oscillations occur in infinite planes
c. There is no definite direction of oscillation of the electric field
d. All of the above