MODERN PHYSICS Quiz here,
#1. The de-Broglie wavelength of a particle with momentum p is
#2. Work function of a metal is
#3. What happens during a beta decay?
#4. Who discovered the photoelectric effect?
#5. Which of the following obey Pauli's exclusion principle?
Explanation is given below
Participate in the biggest Physics quiz competition of 2020
MODERN PHYSICS Quiz Explanations
1. The de-Broglie wavelength of a particle with momentum p is h/p. Here h is Planck’s constant. Also wavelength will be h/(2meV)1/2.
2.Work function of a metal is the minimum energy required to eject an electron from the metallic surface.
Maximum kinetic energy of the electron,
KEmax = hf – W0
Where, W0 = work function of the metal.
3. 0n1→1p1 + -1e0 + neutrino
The above process is called beta decay in which a neutron in the nucleus decays to produce a proton and an emitting electron which is called the negative beta particle along with a neutrino.
The antiparticle of electron is positron which is called the positive beta particle.
More about neutron and their decay processes here
4. It wasn’t Albert Einstein who first discovered the photoelectric effect. It was German physicist Heinrich Rudolf Hertz who discovered it in 1887.
More about Heinrich Hertz here
5. Fermions obey Pauli’s exclusion principle. Fermi-Dirac statistics is applicable to them only. Bosons don’t obey Pauli’s exclusion principle. So, they come under Bose-Einstein statistics.
Read a Q&A session about Fermi-Dirac statistics here to clear your doubts here
For more Modern Physics quizzes, click here
Quiz By Som Abhisek.
Share this article if you liked it
Subscribe to our channel Physics Only
Uploaded by Bhautik Kapadiya
MODERN PHYSICS Quiz
1. The de-Broglie wavelength of a particle with momentum p is
a. h/p ()
2. Work function of a metal is
a. maximum energy required to eject an electron from its surface
b. minimum energy required to eject an electron from its surface ()
c. minimum binding energy required to make the electron stick to the atom
d. minimum potential to eject an electron from its surface
3. What happens during a beta decay?
a. an atomic electron is ejected
b. an electron present inside the nucleus is ejected
c. a neutron in the nucleus decays emitting an electron ()
d. a part of the binding energy is converted into electron
4. Who discovered the photoelectric effect?
a. Albert Einstein
b. James Clerk Maxwell
c. Heinrich Hertz ()
d. Philip Lenard
5. Which of the following obey Pauli’s exclusion principle?
a. fermions ()